LEED / sustainable
recycling of office furniture is an industry that has come of
age. Corporate "rightsizing", value conscious buyers,
and an increased awareness of environmental issues have caused
many facility managers to take a closer look at office furniture
recycling and designing their space with the environment in
product has many compelling advantages over new furniture. It
is as functional as the original product, and provides the ultimate
in flexibility. Hundreds of available colors, fabrics, finishes,
custom sizes and shapes, and the use of "green" materials
make Recycled/Remanufactured furniture an increasingly important
option. It is an economical way to upgrade and update your work
environment, offering savings of as much as 65-80% off of manufacturer's list price.
Perhaps the greatest virtue of Recycled/Remanufactured
product however, is that it conserves our energy and natural
resources that would otherwise be needed to manufacture new
products. Such savings impact our planet in profoundly positive
ways by reducing air and water pollution, preventing environmental
degradation, and conserving landfill space.
in the environmental design and use of Recycled/Remanufactured
Systems is an investment in our future.
continually update and add to our "Green-Library"
the latest in recycled products such as fabric, laminate, fiberboard,
and carpet. These products are offered as alternatives and additions
to our standards, for environmentally concerned consumers.
Through its interior design, specifications and sustainable furnishings services Creative Office may provide contributions toward the following LEED ® Credits:
- MR credit 3.2 Materials Resource – Furniture and Furnishings
- MR credit 4 Recycled Content
- MR credit 5 Regional Materials
- MR credit 6 Rapidly Renewable Materials
- MR credit 7 Certified Wood
- IEQ credit 4.1 Low emitting materials Adhesives and Sealants
- IEQ credit 4.4 Low emitting materials- Composite and Wood agrifiber products
- IEQ credit 4.5 Low emitting materials – Systems Furniture and Seating
- IEQ credit 6.1 Controllability of Systems and lighting
- IEQ credit 8.1 Daylight and Views – Daylight
- IEQ credit 8.2 Daylight and Views – Views
- ID credit 1 Innovation in Design
- ID credit 2 LEED Accredited Professional
Our specified Remanufactured/ Recycled products may qualify for LEED® credits as follows and are listed with the USGBC, and in the Building Green, "GreenSpec" publication.
MR credit 3.3 Resource Reuse- Using our remanufactured and recycled systems products for your open space and private offices qualifies for requirement: "Use salvaged, refurbished or used furniture or furnishings for 30% of the total furniture and furnishings budget."
MR credit 4.1 and 4.2 Recycled Content- Specifying our remanufactured and recycled systems products for your open space and private offices qualifies for requirement: "Use materials, including furniture and furnishings, with recycled content such that the sum of post-consumer recycled content plus ˝ (one half) of the pre-consumer content constitutes at least 20% of the total value of the materials in the project." Our post consumer product is approximately 70% content, by weight and will contribute significantly. We also offer 100% recycled content fabrics and other recycled product finishes for worksurface products.
MR credit 5.1 20% Manufactured Regionally - 100% of our remanufactured products are manufactured and assembled here in the Bay Area thus all qualifying for this credit.
MR credit 5.2 10% Extracted and Manufactured Regionally - 100% of our remanufactured products are manufactured and assembled here in the Bay Area thus all qualifying for this credit.
MR credit 7 Certified Wood- All of our case goods including conference rooms, reception and private offices may be manufactured using FSC-certified materials contributing to this credit.
IEQ credit 4.5 Low emitting materials – We offer a full line of Greenguard certified seating and other products which meets this criterion for Indoor Air Quality Control. The paints and adhesives used in our remanufacturing process are low or no VOC products.
IEQ credit 6.1 Controllability of Systems and lighting- We offer a full line of under counter, desk top, and panel mounted LED task lights providing lighting controls for all occupied offices and workstations.
IEQ credit 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 Daylight and Views- Our Remanufactured systems furniture products are easily adaptable and designed to offer optimal daylight view efficiency through the offering of varying height panel systems and clear view panels. Our expertise is in working with you to design and achieve the maximum potential toward each of these credits.
ID credit 1.1 Innovation in Design – Creative Office is a full service contract dealership specializing and Sustainable Interiors and Workspaces. We offer unique products such as sound masking systems as alternatives and submission, which may qualify for Innovation in Design credits.
ID credit 2 LEED Accredited Professional – LEED AP staff assistance/ consulting for Commercial Interiors.
Since 1986 Creative Office has been a full-service Contract Furniture dealership specializing in the specifying of Sustainable Interiors offering our clients a complete scope of services from commercial space planning, CAD and design services, to a broad line of Sustainable, LEED® qualified and GreenGuard office furnishings. Our products range from new GreenGuard, ergonomically designed seating, to LED task lighting fixtures for under-counter, desk top and panel mounts, new filing, and storage units to filling your conferencing, reception, training room and custom design needs. We offer both new and Recycled/Remanufactured systems furniture. In addition, we also provide facilities assistance, project management and complete delivery and installation services.
Today, largely due to our commitment to excellence and dedication to the highest quality of service, we have become one of the leaders in the industry. Creative Office is a multidisciplinary firm with portfolios characterized by facilities/ project management, design artistry, technical innovation and LEED® contributions to workplace solutions.
Below is some information regarding our position on sustainability, recycling efforts and the use of Green materials that you may want to consider for your LEED® project.
- Sustainability: Creative Office promotes LEED Certification in Sustainable Design, Building and Development in our facility and through the Recycling/Remanufacturing programs we offer to our clients like you! We have estimated that in the last five years alone, Creative Office will have recycled and saved from landfill approximately 75,725 Tons of waste.
- Green Materials: We are continually updating and adding to our "Green-Library" with the latest in Recycled products such as fabrics, LED task lighting, GreenGuard laminates and seating, fiberboard, carpets and much more to offer as alternatives and additions to our standards for the ecology minded and LEED® conscious consumer, designer and architect.
- Recycling: Creative Office is active in the Recycling Community. We are members of the USGBC, IFMA, U.S. EPA Waste Wise Program, the National Recyclers Forum, which Sharon Duffy was a charter and board member, the Remanufacturing Industries Council, and were 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001 winners of the National Waste Production Awards Program. In 2002, Creative Office was awarded the U.S. EPA Small Business Partner of the Year award. We were also awarded the California State Waste Wise Reduction Award for seven years in a row.
Recycle Content & Life Cycle Plan:
Recycled content is usually expressed in terms of Post-Consumer and Post-Industrial recycled content. Remanufactured systems furniture specified from Creative Office is composed of approximately 80% (by weight) Post-Consumer recycled content. The remaining 20% component content represents new, upgraded electrical system components and replacement furniture systems components that may be damaged during the remanufacturing process.
Our source materials are OEM components bought from end-users and broker agents of companies seeking to change their entire furniture system. We disassemble the panel system components to their elemental level. We discard any bent, broken or non-functional elements. Appearance paint finishes are prepped and reapplied using water-based, low VOC compound paints. Upon order, a panel system component is then reassembled utilizing the OEM parts.
Our clients select from hundreds of 100% recycled fabrics and Greenguard laminate choices to obtain recycled systems furniture with contemporary designed fabrics and upgraded electrical systems.
Aside from the monetary savings and opportunity to make a significant contribution to sustaining our environment, we also offer Remanufactured/ Recycled products:
- Lead times: usually 3-4 weeks
- Warranty: 10 year limited warranty
- Finish selections: You may select from hundreds of fabrics, 100% recycled and/or Rapidly Renewable materials, and Greenguard laminate finishes, as well as, a variety of paint colors creating the perfect work environment.
- Parts availability: We stock standard parts locally, so that when the need comes for reconfiguring we can respond promptly.
- Custom sizes: available usually with no additional lead times.
- LEED® Projects: Our products may offer Qualified LEED® credits contributions in as many as 14 areas for Commercial Interiors.
- Take Back and Trade in Programs: Unlike the EOM’s, Creative Office takes a cradle to cradle responsibility for our Recycled/Remanufactured products. Unused or returned products are always taken back into our system for recycling or remanufacturing.
- Asset Management: We will work with you to assess your existing product and disposition for relocation purposes. We may provide inventory and strategic planning services, as well. We will work to blend the new workstations into the existing work environment, reusing existing product where possible to create harmony in your workplace.
- You’ll feel good!: knowing that you’ve made a "green" choice to do something good for the environment.
ENVIROMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT
Not only would your decision to purchase remanufactured furnishings be a smart and financially rewarding one, but could have a tremendous environmental impact, as well. Below, are some figures that I think may be of interest to you which represent not only cost savings but, equally important, is the substantial contribution that you will have made toward sustaining our environment.
Did you know?
- The remanufacturing of 100 workstations spares approximately 75,000 pounds of waste from entering our landfill.
- In remanufacturing a panel, only the fabric coverings are replaced and exterior frames refinished, resulting in the reuse of 98% of each panel by weight.
- The energy savings from the remanufacturing of 100 workstations could provide baseline power to 3 average American households for an entire year.
- The amount of workstations we install in an average year avoid the release of approximately 1 million pounds of CO2 into the environment.
As a result of your efforts to conserve natural resources and selecting Remanufactured/ Recycled products, the following are estimates of contributions that you will have made to building a more sustainable future and your LEED® Certification.
At Creative Office Systems, Inc., typically, only the fabric coverings are replaced and the exterior frames and panels refinished, resulting in the reuse of over 98% of each panel, by weight.
The Life Cycle of a properly designed office workstation can be 10 years. With every remanufacture cycle we can restart the clock for another 10 years. We specify the furniture systems for remanufacturing from the most widely sold furniture systems in the country. There is no shortage of raw materials or replacement parts.
Waste stream diversion: Creative Office has been recognized at both the state and national levels for recycling and waste stream diversion practices. A part or component is disposed only when it is no longer serviceable.